Visitor Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Where is the church located?
- How do I contact the church?
- What are the service times?
- Who is your Minister; Who are the staff?
- Sometimes I see other people giving the sermon instead of Rev. Cullinan. Who are these people?
- Who are the people leading the services?
- Is there a dress code for services?
- What should I expect for Sunday services?
- Do you provide child care during services?
- What is the Sunday Forum?
- Do you have a podcast or other online presence?
- Do you have a blog?
- Do you have a church newsletter?
- I am intested in getting more information. Whom should I contact?
- What types of special activities does your church have?
- Where is the church located? (top)
The Unitarian Church of Los Alamos is located at 1738 North Sage Street in Los Alamos, New Mexico. General Directions: Once you make it into Los Alamos, go along Central Avenue (off of Trinity Drive), turn north at the corner of 15th and Central, where the Bradbury Science Museum is located. Take the third street on your left, which is North Sage Street. The church is the second building on your right, between the Masonic Temple and the Mormon Church. Go to the Map and Directions page for turn-by-turn directions from your location.
- How do I contact the church? (top)
The phone number for the church office is (505) 662-2346, email is firstname.lastname@example.org. We also have a staff page and a Contact Us page.
- What are the service times? (top)
During the regular church year (Mid-August through May), Rev. John Cullinan leads services at 9:00 am and 11:00 am. During the summer, we have one service at 10:00 am. See the Sunday Services page or the home page.
- Who is your Minister; Who are the staff? (top)
Our minister is Rev. John Cullinan. Rev. Cullinan is a graduate of the Meadville Lombard Theological School in Chicago, where he earned a Master of Divinity degree. He was called to the Unitarian Church of Los Alamos in April of 2007. He holds a B.A. in Theatre Arts with a minor in Theology from Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. You can see a description of our staff on the Staff Page. Our Director of Religious Exploration (DRE) is De Anna Hoyle. Our Music Director is Alicia Solomon. The Office Administrator is Susanna Naud.
- Sometimes I see other people giving the sermon instead of Rev. Cullinan. Who are these people? (top)
One Sunday a month our Worship Committee organizes a lay-lead service. Church members or invited guests will discuss an issue of importance to the church or local community.
- Who are the people leading the services? (top)
These people are Worship Associates, church volunteers who lead the congregation through Sunday Services.
- Is there a dress code for services? (top)
Our congregation varies in dress from casual to sometimes formal attire. We want you to be comfortable and relaxed.
- What should I expect for Sunday services? (top)
Order of Service (general)
- Prelude, Candles of Community
- Chalice Lighting
- Call to Worship
- Pastoral Prayer
- Sung Response
- Time for All Ages
- Children's Recessional
- Extinguishing the Chalice
- Closing Song: "Go Now in Peace"
- Do you provide child care during services? (top)
Yes. Child care is available just before the 9:00 am service until the end of the 11:00 am service. Please contact our Direction of Religious Exploration (De Anna Hoyle) for more information.
- What is the Sunday Forum? (top)
Forum takes place during the church year (September-May) in Robinson Hall, following the first service. The forum starts at 10:10 a.m. and finishes at 10:50 a.m. with a 25-minute presentation and a 15-minute discussion period. Questions by audience members are limited to two minutes per person. Forum concentrates on church activities, community issues, denominational topics, books of note, and topics of interest to the Los Alamos Unitarian Church community. Forum titles are listed on the home page and on the Forum Titles and Descriptions page. Some of the forums are recorded and are available here.
- Do you have a podcast or other online presence? (top)
Yes, we do. Our podcast is of Rev. John Cullinan and guests speakers and their sermons. You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or other service, view the RSS feed, view and play the podcasts from our Blog area. The latest podcasts are always listed on the top right section of the home page. We also have a Facebook page as well as videos on YouTube.
- Do you have a blog? (top)
Regular articles are posted from Rev. Cullinan, our DRE De Anna Hoyle, and the church president. You can view the recent posts or find posts from other various categories.
- Do you have a church newsletter? (top)
Our monthly church newsletter is called The Voice. If you are interested in receiving this electronic newsletter, send an email to the Voice Editor.
- I am intested in getting more information. Whom should I contact? (top)
We have a Membership Committee (as well as others) who will be glad to answer your questions and help you however they can. See the For Visitors page for an online information request form. See also the Contact Us page.
- What types of special activities does your church have? (top)
Our church does various special activities, including Soup and Bread Lunches, Family Nights, Book Groups, Dinners, Campouts, Covenant Circles, Highway Clean-ups, Special-interest Groups, Work Parties, Children’s Holiday Parties, Social Action activities, and much more. You can check out our Calendar or a list of the highlighted Happenings & News. We also have pages on Church Programs and Special Activities, Social Justice, and Affinity and Interest Groups under the Church Life tab.